Monday, February 11, 2008

A German Apron

Well, it's complete. All done. I made a lovely little "German apron" and had fun changing things as I cut and sewed along. I'm not sure how German it looks all finished but that's okay. My friend at Wildflower Morning made me the pattern from an older German looking apron she found at a yard sale. When she spied the find, the only text on the tag was in German, so she found it quite fitting to call it a German apron. I like that, too.

My grandmother is German and I have many memories of her in the kitchen wearing an apron. I can see her now; flour everywhere letting me know making pies and what we called "schnitzels" was serious business. Oh, and yes, the smell of her sauerkraut wafting through the house still makes my mouth water.

So I think it's fitting to have made a German apron; a tie to my past. I will think of her each time I wear it and "das ist gute".








I think my husband tied a lovely bow, don't you?

6 comments:

Heidi said...

It's delightful! What's the first thing you cooked wearing the apron?

Elizabeth Joy said...

It turned out so cute. I like the buttons very much! What a nice addition! It fits you perfectly and will look lovely no matter what you are doing in the kitchen. Do you have it on today? Doesn't it give such a sense of purpose? Your sewing is lovely

Anonymous said...

The first thing I made with my new apron, was some yummy granola. Thanks for your interest, Hildegard!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have my apron on today and it feels good. It does give me a sense of purpose and thank you Elizabeth Joy for you comment on my lovely sewing. That is encouraging. I think I'll sew more.

Jenni said...

Beautiful apron! Have you ever made pfefferneuse or springerle? My husband's grandmother makes pfefferneuse (peppernuts) every year. My high school German teacher used to make springerle as a special treat for us, but my family doesn't like the anise flavor. I bought a special rolling pin for making springerle at a garage sale a few years ago and one of these days I will make some for myself!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenni, Thanks for your comments. I haven't made pfefferneuse or springerele. Sounds interesting. I'd love to try them!