Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Daffodils

When I was in secondary school our English teacher had us memorize poetry. Even now, I still take pleasure in it and still remember much of the poem I share below.

The poem comes out a lovely little book called "101 Famous Poems". The fun part about memorizing poetry came when our teacher said we could choose whichever ones we wished. I can't remember how many we were to memorize but it still brings back many fond memories and the book is still in my library.





"The Daffodils"


I wondered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in a sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Outdid the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed-and gazed-but little thought
What wealth to me the show had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood
They flash upon the inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude:
And then my heart with pleasure fills
and dances with the daffodils

~ William Woodsworth

6 comments:

Elizabeth Joy said...

I picture a hillside I've seen covered with daffodils that surround a square where an old homestead must have once stood. The people moved away long ago, but the daffodils didn't, and remain to pleasure a watchful wanderer. How special that you can still remember your poem. It is a lovely one.

Molly said...

I am glad that you have chosen this poem by Wordsworth. I can remember my mother reciting the first verse. In fact, when I read the Week 3 assignment for Wildflowers in the Winter, these words came to mind, "When all at once I saw a crowd, a host, of golden daffodils." However, that is all that I could remember.

Silly Goose said...

Daffodils are definitely a sign of spring! I remember memorizing this poem, but oops! I had forgotten most of it. Thanks for bringing it back to my mind.

Shady Gardener said...

I have a more recent copy of this book. My mom had the original. I grew up reading and re-reading her copy and had to get my own. "Thanks for the memories." ;-)

Pamela said...

My neighbor has a "crowd, a host" of daffodils every spring. He is a widower in his late 80's. He used to take bouquets in to his wife.

Jenni said...

When we visited Scotland, we stayed at this place:
http://www.gartmorehouse.com/
There were daffodils all over the place and I loved to walk among them and think of this poem. It has always been one of my favorite. Sometimes I still lie on my couch and think of those fields of daffodils and the equally bright and smiling faces of all the wonderful people we met there.